Tuesday, November 27, 2007

You are the Northern Lights: Josh Ritter @ Webster Hall 11/9

So, about forever and a day ago I checked out Josh Ritter's show at Webster Hall. I was going to let this post slide (as I have other posts when I've been a little late on the draw in posting about a show) but I just had to mention this show. It was, without a doubt, the most fun I've ever had at a show in New York City. So please excuse my lateness and allow me to tell you that Mr. Ritter puts on one hell of a show.

The first great thing about this show was Ritter's obvious enjoyment in performing for us, which was coupled by the uber-enthusiasm emanating from the audience. The atmosphere was positively electric. It still brings chills to me. As for proof of his enjoyment, the grin you can see in this picture to the left rarely disappeared from his face the entire evening. Even in the quieter moments, a small smile would creep out as he was singing.

I have been a Ritter fan for more than a few years and mostly for a dumb reason: we both hail from Idaho. Not necessarily the greatest reason to check out a band, granted, but the reason that led me to him nonetheless. I find his lyrics to be clever and his country-by-way-of-Leonard-Cohen style is also definitely my cup of tea. So I was extremely excited to have the chance to finally see him live.

However, I'd been reading a few interviews that Ritter had been giving around town leading up to the show and was starting to get a little worried about what I was getting myself into. There was a lot of talk (by him) about his new album being less "auto-biographical" and more "rockin" than his previous albums and how he was getting tired of being fit to the mold of the confessional singer-songwriter type. Fair enough. But, while it's true that his new album does include references to pirates and Joan of Arc, I found it to be neither rockin (per se) or a huge departure from his other work. Different, yes, but more like a progression rather than a departure. So...with visions of Ryan Adam's attempt at be coming more of a "rock star" in my head, I was really worried that my first look at Ritter live was going to let me down.

And, let me tell you kids, Josh Ritter can rock! And it turns out his new album is rockin...or at least more so than I thought it was while listening to it over my head phones on the subway. Nothing like context to set one straight.

I had such fun that night. There was a lot of dancing in the crowd, a lot of chit-chat from Ritter, and a lot of interaction between the crowd and the guys on stage. As Josh Ritter said as he closed the show, the night was truly magical. It's too bad I can't go back again.

*Thanks to Kyle Dean Reinford on Flickr for the awesome shot. Please check out more of his shots from that night here.

No comments: