Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Wanderings

It's been a much-needed quiet week over here in Morland-land. I was going to do a write up of the Spoon show that I saw last Saturday night but I was feeling a bit under the weather and didn't get around to it and, since it's Wednesday, I've decided it's too late now. So. The Spoon show was awesome. Great.

So, by way of a post/update today I thought I'd just share with you some points of interest that I have found on the web recently.

  • Salon's Broadsheet pointed me in the direction of this interesting blog, GIRLdrive. It chronicles the journey of two women on a road-trip across America to discover what today's women think of feminism. It makes for interesting reading, I have to say.
  • Speaking of feminism today, Broadsheet also pointed me to this article in the NYT about a "chat" held last night with some of the wives of the current presidential candidates. Apparently it was "predictable" that they played down their roles in their respective husbands campaign. Too many strong women in the political foreground would be off-putting perhaps? Sigh.
  • Check this list out from Blender of the 50 Worst Songs of All Time. I'd have to disagree with number 23 though (Sunglasses at Night!). I totally dug that song when I was a kid.
  • I was puzzled as to why JK Rowling outted Dumbledore this week, and John Cloud of Time makes some interesting comments about it.
  • And last, but not least, Forbes gives us a list of the wost jobs for the upcoming century. Travel agents? Buh-by!

1 comment:

boo said...

I'll admit, i kinda wondered if Dumbledore had a hard-on for Gellert Grindelwald. But I agree, why out Dumbledore now (or at all, really). Maybe Rowling should have just written it into the last book when she was spending all that time giving us a pre-Harry steamy expose into Dumbledore's angsty adolescence? Then she could talk about how falling in love with Hitler shamed Dumbledore into a tragic life of celibacy. sad.