Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Then Again, the Same Old Story: Updates

So, this is where I've been hiding out the past five days. I know that it doesn't quite explain my extended absence from Morland but...well...so it goes.

In my absence, I also made it up to I-Town for Record Store Day a couple (three?) weeks ago. Because there's really only one independent record store that I hold near and dear to my heart. (Even though they update their website even less frequently than I do...ahem.)

Overall, I have enjoyed my recent ventures from the City. I find New York to be a bit overwhelming at times and it's been good to see trees and mountains and space. I'm already planning my next escape and I'm thinking it might have to be Texas.

I have only seen one show in the past month, which is partly why I've been so quiet, and it was a repeater to boot. I didn't have much to add about Josh Ritter's performance from what I already said last fall so devoting a whole post to the show seemed uncalled for at the time. Suffice it to say, he's still one of my favorites and still puts on one hell of a show. I mean, any man that can get a room full of Williamsburg hipsters to partner up with strangers and waltz around the room mid-set is alright by me. (The picture of the set list for this show was posted by urockrock on Flickr; see more pics here.)

In other news: I quit my job and will soon be joining the ranks of under-paid creative types that hang around the City. I'm hoping the change of pace will allow me more time to check out music around town and that, in turn, will translate into more updates on Morland. Famous last words.

And, finally, clear your schedule the evening of June 7th: in true wannabe-rockstar-fashion I have organized a great line-up of bands to play at a venue in Chinatown to celebrate my 30th. Details forthcoming.

No comments: